Featured Post

Instructions (click to see all instructions)

To create your post: Wait for an emailed invitation to be an author. Get a Google Account if you don't have one. (Go to the Google ho...

Caston

Stages of Life Music Handout


Intro: Nothing (Sorrow Remix) – Om Unit
Lyrics to Look for: “It’s the cycle of life..”

1.     As Good As I Once Was – Toby Keith
Relevant Philosophers: Slote – Toby Keith references his prime, and he continues to say that his prime was the best that he ever was. The listener also feels a sense that Toby Keith misses his prime and the experiences he had during that time. It feels like he preferred that time.
Lyrics to Look for:
I ain't as good as I once was,
I got a few years on me now,
But there was a time,
Back in my prime,
When I could really lay it down,
If you need some love tonight,
Then I might have just enough,
I ain't as good once was,
But I'm as good once, as I ever was”

2.     Summer of ’69 – Bryan Adams
Relevant Philosophers: Slote – Bryan Adams supports the time preference view by saying that he would always want to be in the summer of 69. This summer would have been during Adams’ early adulthood and supports the idea that experiences in this stage are inherently better.
Lyrics to Look for:
Oh, when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah, I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life”

3.     Forever Young – Alphaville
Relevant Philosophers: Overall – Alphaville focuses on being young which, in Overall’s eyes, is not a critical time in a person’s life. This seems to contradict Overall’s beliefs about childhood being somewhat insignificant to the rest of our lives.
Ezekiel Emanuel – Alphaville suggests that he would only want to live forever if he was forever young.
Slote – The above idea reflects a strong time preference view.
Lyrics to Look for:
“Forever young
I want to be forever young
Do you really want to live forever?
Forever, and ever”

4.     My generation – The Who
Relevant Philosophers: Ezekiel Emanuel – In this song, the singer enjoys his youthful generation and hopes to never be an old person. This correlates to Emanuel’s position because he hopes to die at the age of 75 when he believes that the quality of his life will no longer be meaningful.
Lyrics to Look for:
I hope I die before I get old (talkin' 'bout my generation)”

5.     Jack and Diane – John Mellencamp
Relevant Philosophers: Ezekiel Emanuel – John Mellencamp’s song, which proclaims that life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone, supports the idea that one would want to die at a certain age. The “thrill” that Mellencamp talks about could be interpreted as the thing that gives him meaning, in which case the song and Emanuel’s ideas are even closer related.
Lyrics to Look for:

“Saying oh yeah
Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone
Sayin' oh yeah
Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone”